I don’t know about you but the amount of sewers that I’ve seen make the True Bias Ogden Cami is astonishing! I have loved and admired each and every one and thought ‘I must make one of those to see what all the fuss is about’! So I did, finally!
My summer vibe helped me wiz up not one but FOUR of these cami’s! All made from my stash of 1m leftover fabrics. The floral one was slightly more hence why I made it in to a dress/tunic. This pattern is great for stash busting.
Well #mmmay17 has certainly kicked off with a bang this week for all taking part! As this is my first time, I was keen to ensure I kept to my pledge and also to follow up each week with a ’roundup’ to evaluate what I’ve achieved or learnt from the process. Here is my first weeks instalment.
If you follow me on Instagram, you will see that not only did I wear ‘me made’ clothes for my pledged three days of the first week, but also managed to post a bonus day:
Although I have been sewing regularly for a few years now and am fairly confident in making tops, skirts and dresses, along with becoming braver with pattern drafting, the one item of clothing that I have not attempted are trousers. There are a few reasons for this. One, I am very bottom heavy, a pear shape if you will, resulting in my avoidance of making anything fitted out of fear it would become far to complicated. Two, not only am I ‘a pear’, I’m also very short – 5 ft 2 inches to be exact. This causes more fitting anxiety for me, to ensure I can scale down the trouser pattern without losing the shape. Of course all these concerns have been floating in my head for a while, making it even harder to take the trouser making plunge. Resistance however, was futile for someone who likes and wears jeans and trousers regularly.
To set the scene of this post, I am writing this from a small corner of a café in the local swimming pool, casually observing my youngest daughter and her friend having fun. I do laugh at myself sometimes at my choice of locations for impulsive blog post writing, but when you have the urge to write you have a duty to yourself to respond accordingly!
Now for part two of my bid to make handmade clothes for myself that can be incorporated in to my everyday wardrobe. I wanted to make a couple of camisole tops. As the warmer weather is starting to arrive and with a little taste of the lovely British summer at its best at the weekend, the need for lighter tops is becoming more of a necessity. I own a few RTW camisoles but wanted to add my own in to the mix. Continue reading “Stash Busting – Essentials Part 2”→
My first project of Jan 2017 is made and I have to say what a joy to make. I used the Sew Over It 1940’s Tea Dress PDF pattern, which is recommended for a intermediate sewer. I made the dress out of this beautiful teal patterned Liberty sandwashed silk, from Ray Stitch in London. I have had this in my stash since last summer and was waiting for the moment that I was brave enough to make something with it, without making a hash of it! This would have been criminal, not to mention an expensive mistake! So I waited patiently for a little bit of experience with similar floaty fabrics and silk. I will share some of those makes with you soon, which include a silk lined faux fur coat and my eldest daughter’s prom dress! Continue reading “First up – 1940’s Tea Dress”→
So, let’s kick the New Year and my new blog off with a projects board and plans for my January 2017 makes!
The project board in the picture, I made myself – please excuse the photography, I’m still learning! The board sits on my wall in my sewing room as a big reminder of what I’ve pledged to create. I used the projects calendar kindly issued by Sew DIY . I’ve found this useful as a focal point to draw my planned projects in to one list, with an order of which to start first etc. etc. Really useful tool, I recommend anyone planning their makes on a monthly basis to use this. Continue reading “New Year – New Projects”→